FAMILY MEDICINE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Applying & Interviews
Thank you for your interest in the San Joaquin General Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program. Our goal is to train high-quality family physicians to meet the health care needs of California, to practice with medically under-served populations, and to be leaders in their medical communities. We follow the principles outlined by the California Medical Boards, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education, and the American Board of Family Medicine.
PG-I Application Procedures & Interviews
Our program is part of the University of California, Davis Network of Affiliated Family Medicine Residency Programs. All applications and interviews are coordinated through our Program Coordinator, Anna Hernandez (email@example.com). Our Program accepts applications only though ERAS. US medical students may contact their Dean’s Office or visit the ERAS Web site at www.aamc.org/eras for information. IMGs wishing to enroll in ERAS need to contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) at www.ecfmg.org for their application materials and eligibility requirements.
All applications are screened based on merit. In order to ensure the best interview date, please submit all application materials as soon as possible. The deadline for applications is December 31st. The entire application is evaluated so we ask that you submit all supporting documents with your application. Selected applicants are then invited to choose an interview date using our interactive calendar.
- ERAS application
- Dean's Letter and Medical School Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Medical School completion within the last 3 years
- Maximum one failure in USMLE I/COMLEX Level I and USMLE II-CK/COMLEX Level II-CE
- No failures in USMLE II-CS/COMLEX Level II-PE
- Registration in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), http://www.nrmp.org/.
In addition to the above requirements, IMGs must also have the following:
- California Medical Board Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL). You may contact the California
Medical Board for further information, http://www.mbc.ca.gov/.
- Valid ECFMG Certificate.
- U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or ECFMG-sponsored J-1 Visa
- Documented U.S. clinical experience is not required but desirable
PG-II Application Procedures & Interviews
We currently do not have any openings for PG-II positions.
General Information & FAQs
- What are your minimum score requirements? There are no minimum score requirements.
- Do you accept IMGs in your program? Yes, we accept IMGs, several of our residents are IMGs
- Do you accept DOs in your program? Yes, our program accepts DOs, several of our residents are DOs
- Are both the USMLE and COMLEX needed for DO students? No, either exam is acceptable.
- Is U.S. experience mandatory for the program? We do not require it, but having U.S. clinical experience is a desirable characteristic for competitive applicants.
- Does the program sponsor visas? No. The program accepts ECFMG sponsored J-1 Visas, but does it not directly sponsor J-1 or H-1 visas. Non-citizens will be asked to provide a copy of a document that establishes employment authorization by the date of their interview. A list of acceptable documents can be found at http://www.uscis.gov/ files/form/i-9.pdf.
- Where can I get a listing of where your residents attended medical school? Please take a look at our website for information pertaining to our current residents.
- When does your program conduct interviews? Interviews will be conducted November to January. Our interviews start at 7:30 am and end by 2:00 pm.
- Can my application be considered if I graduated more than five years before I apply? Not usually. We require completion of medical school within the last 3 years. Occasionally we consider applicants who have earlier graduation dates if there are other compelling circumstances such as prior GME training or recent clinical experience. If you think that you possess those qualities you can appeal the initial non-selection and request a secondary review of your application.
For information specific to our program or for questions regarding our eligibility requirements, please contact our Residency Office:
Anna Hernandez, Program Coordinator
San Joaquin General Hospital | Family Medicine Residency Program
500 West Hospital Road, French Camp, CA 95231
Tel (209) 468-6428 | Fax (209) 468-6747 | Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Useful Links:
- USMLE | 3750 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3190
Tel (215) 590-9700 | Fax (215) 590-9457 | http://www.usmle.org
- ERAS | https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/
- National Residency Matching Program | 2450 N Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037-1127
Tel (202) 828-0676 | http://www.nrmp.org/
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
3624 Market Street,Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685 | Tel (215) 386-5900 | http://www.ecfmg.org
- The Medical Board of California | 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200, Sacramento, CA 95815
Tel (800) 633-2322 | Tel (916) 263-2382 | Fax (916) 263-2944 | http://www.mbc.ca.gov/
The Interview Day
- 07:30 AM - 08:00 AM | FM Administration, Room 1103 | Welcome Presentation
- 08:00 AM - 09:00 AM | Conference Room, HCCR | Morning Report
- 09:00 AM - 12:00 PM | FM Administration, Room 1103 | Interviews and Tour of Hospital
- 12:00 PM - 14:30 PM | Lunch and Tour
Transportation and Travel Arrangements
We recommend that you make travel arrangements soon after you confirm your interview date. We are unable to reimburse interviewees for travel expenses. We suggest flying into Sacramento airport (one hour North) or Oakland Airport (one and a half to two hours West. San Francisco Airport is also a possibility, but you will encounter more traffic.
The public transportation options from the airports are limited so we suggest that you rent a car. We suggest the following Hotels for overnight accommodations:
Located off I-5 freeway, about 10 miles North of San Joaquin General Hospital
- University Plaza Waterfront Hotel (High Budget) | 110 W. Fremont St., Stockton, CA 95202
(209) 944-1140 | http://www.universityplazawaterfronthotel.com/
- La Quinta Inn (Reasonable Budget) | 2710 W. March Lane, Stockton, CA 95207
(209) 952-7800 | http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?propId=625
- Super 8 Hotels (Reasonable Budget) | 2717 W. March Lane, Stockton, CA 95207
(209) 477-5576 | http://www.super8.com/hotels/california/stockton/search-results
Located off Highway 99, less than10 miles East of San Joaquin General Hospital
- Hampton Inn & Suites Stockton (High Budget) | 5045 Kingsley Rd, Stockton, CA 95215
(209) 946-1234 | http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hampton-inn-and-suites-stockton- SCKCAHX/index.html
Located off I-5 a couple of miles South of San Joaquin General Hospital
- Holiday Inn Express Lathrop (High Budget) | 16855 Harlan Road, Lathrop, CA 95330
(209) 858-1234 | http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/lathrop/lthhr/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=mdpr-_-Google Maps-_-ex-_-lthhr
- Comfort Inn (Reasonable-High Budget) | 14730 S. Harlan Road, Lathrop, CA 95330
(209) 983-1177 or 800-228-5150 | http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-lathrop-california-CA593
- Days Inn (Reasonable Budget) | 14750 S. Harlan Road, Lathrop, CA 95330
(209) 982-1959 | http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/california/lathrop/days-inn-lathrop/hotel-overview
For questions please contact:
Anna Hernandez | Family Medicine Residency - Program Coordinator
Tel (209) 468-6428 | Fax (209) 468-6747 | email@example.com