message from our chief medical officer
“San Joaquin General Hospital’s graduate medical education is one of the most prestigious programs in Northern California. Our training programs have successfully served California, and the nation with accomplished medical professionals. Our GME programs are built around strong research and clinical education components. We are an affiliate of U.C. Davis School of Medicine. San Joaquin County is situated in the hub of Northern California’s world-leading medical research university hospitals. Our unique location, near the Silicon Valley, enables us to integrate the best technology with medical education and patient care.
"Bring your medical career to life at San Joaquin General Hospital."
Sheela Kapre, M.D.
Chief Medical Officer
new applicants For The SJGH Residency Programs
applying to our family medicine program
Our program is part of the University of California, Davis Network of Affiliated Family Medicine Residency Programs. All applications and interviews are coordinated through our Program Coordinator, Anna Hernandez (ahernandez@ sjgh.org). Our Program accepts applications only though ERAS. US medical students may contact their Dean’s Office or visit the ERAS Web site at www.aamc.org/eras for information. IMGs wishing to enroll in ERAS need to contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) at www.ecfmg.org for their application materials and eligibility requirements.
All applications are screened based on merit. In order to ensure the best interview date, please submit all application materials as soon as possible. The deadline for applications is December 31st. The entire application is evaluated so we ask that you submit all supporting documents with your application. Selected applicants are then invited to choose an interview date using our interactive calendar.
- ERAS application
- Dean's Letter and Medical School Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Medical School completion within the last 3 years
- Maximum one failure in USMLE I/COMLEX Level I and USMLE II-CK/COMLEX Level II-CE
- No failures in USMLE II-CS/COMLEX Level II-PE
- Registration in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), http://www.nrmp.org/.
In addition to the above requirements, IMGs must also have the following:
- California Medical Board Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL). You may contact the California Medical Board for further information, http://www.mbc.ca.gov/.
- Valid ECFMG Certificate. - U.S. Citizenship, Permanent Residency, Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or ECFMG-sponsored J-1 Visa
- Documented U.S. clinical experience is not required but desirable
THE INTERVIEW DAY - ITINERARY
- 07:30 AM - 08:00 AM FM Administration, Room 1103 | Welcome Presentation
- 08:00 AM - 09:00 AM Conference Room, HCCR | Morning Report
- 09:00 AM - 12:00 PM FM Administration, Room 1103 | Interviews and Tour of Hospital
- 12:00 PM - 14:30 PM Lunch and Tour
applying to our internal medicine program
applying to our surgery program
The San Joaquin General Surgery Program only accepts ERAS applications. Our program fills 3 Categorical and 3 preliminary positions through the National Residency Match Program (NRMP). All applicants must meet the following criteria and provide the following documents as part of their ERAS application:
- Deans Letter and Medical School Transcripts
- 3 Letters of Recommendation - preferably from Dept. of Surgery faculty
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Step I/II/CS (first attempt only)
- Applicants should have graduated from medical school within three years prior to applying
- International Medical Graduates must have the following:
- International Medical Graduates (IGM) must have a valid certificate from ECFMG
- International Medical Graduates (IMG) must have a California Medical Board Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL) or indicate to us that it is being processed.
- Only J1 Visas are sponsored
San Joaquin General Hospital will hold 3 interview dates in 2017 which will consist of the following:
- Friday Afternoon: Interview with Program Director and Chair of Surgery
- Friday Evening: Reception and Dinner with Surgery Residents
- Saturday Morning: Interview with Surgical Faculty